Have you started a podcast?
Are you thinking about starting one?
There’s no denying that podcasts are on the rise and they are here to stay.
The only challenge is getting discovered in this oversaturated market.
While it might seem daunting, it’s not impossible!
You just need to know the right tactics to get your podcast discovered and increase your following.
However, these things can be tricky if you don’t know the right strategies.
If you’re new to podcasting or feeling hesitant, keep reading.
This blog post will cover everything you need to know about how to rank your podcast on Google.
Why does your podcast need SEO?
Before we dive into the nitty-gritty of podcasting SEO, let’s take a step back and examine why your podcast needs SEO in the first place.
The beauty of podcasting is that you can literally talk about any topic you want.
You don’t have to stick to any specific format or category.
You have the freedom to be as creative as you want.
That being said, without proper podcast SEO, your podcast will never be discovered.
How do you stand out if people don’t even know you exist?
While some people will stumble upon your podcast and others will see it mentioned on social media or in the news,
the majority of people will find your podcast through podcasting search engines like iTunes, Google Podcasts, and Stitcher.
That’s right. Podcasting is such a big phenomenon that there are search engines dedicated solely to those who want to discover great podcasts.
These are where your podcast will be ranked, and where people will find it.
With that in mind, it’s crucial to understand how to rank your podcast on Google.
What is Podcasting SEO?
As we mentioned above, podcasting SEO is how you get your podcast to rank on podcasting search engines.
These are some of the most popular ones.
– iTunes: This is one of the largest podcasting search engines out there.
If you want to reach a large audience, this is a great place to start.
– Google Podcasts: This is Google’s new podcasting platform.
It’s still in its infancy but could become a major player in the future.
– Stitcher: This is another very popular podcasting search engine, especially among listeners.
– Breaker: This is the podcasting platform that Business Insider uses.
– Podcast Addict: This is one of the most popular podcast apps out there, so it’s a great place to start if you want to reach listeners who don’t use a web-based app.
– Podcasting websites: This includes websites like Gimlet, and Midroll, as well as a plethora of other independent sites.
How to rank your podcast on Google?
The ultimate goal of podcasting SEO is to get your podcast to rank on the podcasting search engines.
However, you first must understand that these ranking algorithms work slightly differently from those of traditional SEO.
There are many factors that affect how your podcast ranks on any given platform.
Some of these factors include:
– Number of downloads: The more downloads your podcast gets, the more likely it is to rank well.
– Length of time online: The longer your podcast has been online, the better.
– Website traffic: If you have a website, the more traffic it gets, the better.
– Links: Links from other websites and sources are very important.
– Reviews: Reviews on sites like iTunes and Google Podcasts are super important.
3 Basic Steps for Ranking Your Podcast
Now that we’ve covered the basics of podcasting SEO, let’s get into the nitty-gritty of ranking your podcast on Google.
– Research: Before you do anything, you need to research your competition.
Who are the top ranking podcasts on iTunes?
What topics are they covering?
How often are they releasing episodes?
Are they using a website?
– Create a website: If you don’t have a website, now is the time to create one.
Make sure it’s optimized for podcasts, and link it to social media, as well as to iTunes and Google Podcasts.
– Get reviews: The more positive reviews you have, the more likely you are to rank.
You can ask your listeners to leave reviews on iTunes and Google Podcasts, or you can ask people in your network to leave you a review.
Important Lessons From Podcasting SEO
Now that you know how to rank your podcast on Google, you may be wondering how this is different from traditional SEO.
Well, there are a few key differences. First of all, you must have a website.
You must have a place where people can visit and download your podcast.
Without one, you won’t be able to rank.
Another important difference is the sheer number of people who use podcasting search engines.
The sheer number of people who use traditional search engines is staggering.
The sheer number of people who use podcasting search engines is even more staggering.
Podcasting is one of the most popular forms of online content.
If you want to reach these people, you need to know how to rank your podcast on Google.
Podcasting is a massive industry and a great way to build a loyal audience.
However, you won’t be able to reach a wide audience unless you know how to rank your podcast on Google.
Before you get started with your own podcast, it’s important to first understand the basics of podcasting SEO.
Once you’re familiar with the landscape, it will be much easier for you to break through the noise and get discovered.
I am an entrepreneur and co-founder at PicketMaze. I specialize in search engine optimization and digital marketing.